Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Roots" Mixed Media Canvas

Hello sweet friends! I hope this week is finding you well--so far, so good for me! I want to share the project I designed to apply for the Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Guest Design Team Call. They wanted to see a project with step-by-step instructions so I used that as my inspiration and truly went out on a limb--it's a good thing I have strong roots! ;)  I hope you're in the mood for lots of pics today~and here goes!
I began by gathering the supplies I knew I wanted to work with and an 8x8 canvas, then laid down some old book paper and a couple patterned papers. I always let it dry completely in between each layer/step.
I covered the canvas with a layer of Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Gel Medium to adhere the papers down--I crumpled and tore them for added interest and texture and added another layer of Gel Medium over the top of the papers as well.
Next, I gave the entire canvas a coat of Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Gesso Sampler, then used a plastic card to scrap some off, letting the papers to show through.
Now I'm adding my brand new circles stencil from StencilGirl with shimmer silver paint for more texture.
Next, I colored with Gelatos® and spritzed with water to blend and move the color around. A plastic card assists here to scrap color from one area to another for a really cool effect!
Now my canvas needed some sparkly texture, so I used another fabulous StencilGirl stencil and Faber-Castell Glass Bead Glitter Gel. I just love the effect of this stuff--mmm...so dreamy!
Next I am thrilled to announce that after 6 years, I have found a use for this once 12x12 piece of clear acetate. I've always loved the quote from Maya Angelou and the whole idea of making a scrapbook page from it. I never thought I'd end up cutting it into pieces, but that's what happened--don't you just love that feeling of letting go and feeling a sense of artistic freedom?!?  I do!! :) So, I arranged the acetate phrase the way I liked it and adhered it with Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Glaze, then secured the top with a layer of Glaze as well.
Finally, I added a bronzed metal circle charm with 4 butterflies signifying four family members and "b" representing the first initial of the family's last name. I added some white paint and after it dried, some black Gelatos® to frame it and give the piece a more finished look.

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share this mixed media canvas with you! Wishing you a most creative and blessed day!!

4 comments:

Diane Noble said...

This is just gorgeous, Linsey! I LOVE doing the whole mixed media thing and yours are so inspiring. Hope you are well!

Lyn said...

Oh my goodness Linsey this is just stunning <3, how beautiful.

Lisa - papergrace said...

I love this, Linsey! All of the textural accents that you used? And the stunning final product...just WOW!! Gorgeous, girl. xoxo

Kate said...

This is seriously just way gorgeous and your tutorial is awesome. Thank you for that.