Sunday, July 16, 2017

Easy DIY DreamCatcher with Ribbons, Lace & Trims

Hi friends! Today I'm up on the RRR Blog and I'm super excited to share a fun and easy project with you! I've been wanting to make a dreamcatcher for a really long time and I finally did it! All of my dreamy RRR ribbons were truly my inspiration for this sweet little handmade decoration and I love how it turned out! I hope you do to!
For my version, I didn't do a traditional web pattern on the inside of the circle. Instead, I found a piece of circle-style chipboard in my stash, spray painted it with Krylon 18KT Gold (same as the gold tipped feathers), then simply used one of my many miniature hand crocheted (not by me) doilies for the center and it worked great. Plus it was quick and easy--love. and love.
Now, on to all those wonderful ribbons, lace and trims, which I wanted to make the main focal point of my dreamcatcher....
I used a variety of different textures but kept most of them neutral in color. A few strips of Cream Seam Binding gave it the silky and shabby-chic feel I wanted. I also wanted a lot of beautiful lace trims in both white and ivory tones. I chose Sharon White Crochet Lace and Gabrielle Off-White Crochet Lace as well as Debra Natural Crochet Lace. For a bit of color and texture contrast, I add some  Light Blue Mini Ric Rac sprayed with a bit of emerald green shimmer mist and some Natural Jute String. I tattered up the Jute String a little and really liked the effect it gave--more interest and texture--yes! :)
Feathers are sometimes added to dreamcatchers, so it was a chance for me to add a few my gold tipped feathers--plus, I think feathers go good with all the yummy ribbons. I even included a pretty gold and pearl round buckle ribbon slider from the Bling Metal Rhinestone Buckle Ribbon Slider Assortment on one of the strands of Cream Seam Binding and a couple pearl flower buttons from my stash. These are just a few of the countless things you can add--just think of how you can de-stash by adding buttons, beads, sliders, charms--the imagination is the limit!
The dreamcatcher looked great to me without anything in the middle, but I decided that I also liked how this inspirational sentiment sticker from the Simple Stories Faith collection worked, so I added it to center of the doily. I put 2 clear flower stickers with gold enamel dots in the centers to the front of the gold chipboard, which tied in the blue ric rac and overall, I think it came together beautifully! Most importantly, I had a lot of fun getting creative and trying something new to me! Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed my dreamcatcher! Happy crafting!

1 comment:

Diane Noble said...

Oh, how perfectly sweet. Your creativity always amazes me. What an amazing way to use the ribbons. Love it.