Thursday, April 28, 2016

Black Sand Rainbow Art

Hi friends! Ready for another GREAT weekend?! I sure am!! I've be feeling creatively adventurous lately and this miniature canvas art is what has come of it today! I had no idea how this would turn out...or if it would turn out, but I just went for it anyway.  Initially I wanted to see what I could do with Finnabair's Black Sand Texture Paste from Prima Marketing.  I've had it a while and wanted to experiment with it in my mixed media art.  Here's what happened....
At first, I didn't think I was going to like it at all, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.  What do you think?  It was super easy to do.  Seriously.  Sadly, I didn't take process pics (I'm sorry!) but here's what I did and what I used--
Steps:
- cover canvas with generous layer of black sand texture paste and let dry completely (I let it dry overnight)
- color with 1 gelato and spritz with water, blending with finger; let color drip by holding the canvas upright to achieve desired look
- Let each gelato color dry before doing the next one. I only used 3 gelatos (isn't that crazy?) and the blending and drying of them one at a time created several different shades and hues of lovely color once it dried completely. Just like a rainbow!
- Add splatters of white gesso to canvas randomly with paintbrush. I used a 1/2" stencil brush.
That's it! Here's a couple close-ups of the canvas showing a bit more of the textural medley of color...
 I really like how the black bits of sand still show through all that color--neat! :)
I hope you like it too! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!  Have a wonderful, creative and blessed day!

2 comments:

Diane Noble said...

I absolutely LOVE it. Love the mix of those colors and with that texture it just looks so professional. I think it's stunning! How fun to just dive in!

jessica said...

OMG Linsey!!
this is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!
You are so super talented my friend!!
Absolutely LOVE this!!
Have a GREAT weekend!!!